Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Wordless Wednesday--Cannons Mills, Ohio

I seemingly never can be totally wordless on these Wordless Wednesdays!


Although I was never able to actually locate the village of Cannons Mills, Columbiana County, Ohio, I did get the sign and the stream that runs through it, which was the power to drive the mill.

The story on this piece of my genealogy is that I descend from a Cannon/Fife marriage in Columbiana County, Ohio. I was barking up the wrong Cannon tree when I first began my research thinking that my link was John Cannon.


After several years of work, a wonderful, fellow genealogist came to my rescue! That would be Cherie of Still Digging For My Roots. Back in 1997 she found me on the net and sent me a copy of an old Fife reunion booklet compiled in 1890 (we both share the Fife surname and are distant cousins). And lo and behold, the Cannon I was related to was Lindsey Cannon, John's brother, who had the mill in St. Clair Township. Hence the name Cannons Mill.

What would we do without all those helpful, fellow researchers who go beyond the call of duty to put us on the right path!



3 comments:

  1. Boy - that's the truth! I know I'd still be digging for a few people if it hadn't been for the kindness of stangers -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, thanks for the mention, Linda!

    Beautiful pictures. And I know what you mean about not being able to make a Wordless entry. It seems like everything needs an explanation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HELLO
    My name is Kimberly Mitchell. I am the founder of Ghosting 12 Paranormal Investigations and Historical Research. I love your blog! I am interested in some work you did on Cannons Mills in Columbiana County, Ohio. I live in this area.
    I am working to uncover the remains of villages like Cannons Mills, Sprucevale, Jamestown, and Martinsville. They are on the maps, but long gone from existence. I would love any other information you might have. I have talked to a woman who claims she has the corner stones to the Mill that was there as decorations in her flower garden. I have been trying to find the approximate location of the Mill itself, but to no avail. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
    My crew and I are working to uncover the history of Columbiana County before it all fades away. It is turning into an incredible adventure. Hope to hear from you! My email is ghosting12@yahoo.com
    Kindest Regards,
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete