Thursday, August 20, 2009

Treasure Chest Thursday--George Henry Hughes Painting


When my paternal grandparents, George Henry and Sarah VanGilder Hughes (aka Pop Pop and Grams) retired to St. Petersburg, Florida in the early 1960's, Pop Pop began painting. He was an artist of sorts. I have some of his pen and ink drawings and he was employed as a draftsman his entire working life at American Bridge Company, Ambridge, Pennsylvania.


As far as I know, there are 4 oil paintings. The subjects are taken from various trips overseas. I have two, my brother, Jeff, has the one pictured here and my cousin, George, has the 4th.

4 comments:

  1. I am so jealous. You have all these great family heirlooms. What a treasure this really is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what Lori said; there is nothing like a work which really shows a relative's artistry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a pretty awesome treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's wonderful that you have these paintings (or at least 2 of them). Now I need to ask my grandfather if he has any of his father's paintings.

    ReplyDelete