Thursday, October 15, 2009

Treasure Chest Thursday--Quincy LaRue Hiser calipers


These two strange looking tools once belonged to my husband's great great grandfather, Quincy LaRue Hiser. My understanding is that they are calipers. I have no idea what they are used for! I guess I have to google ;-)

Back in 1991, when Ted's father, Clarence Harold Hiser, died, and his mother was making an attempt to begin removing his belongings from the house, she asked my husband to go through his Dad's tools and take what he wanted. Ted meticulously sifted through the hundreds of items down on Clarence's workbench, chose what he wanted and brought them home in a sizeable cardboard box.

Down into the basement they went and sat for well over a decade.





A couple of years back, in a grand attempt to "clean" up the basement and in particular the laundry room which is also part of the workbench area......I found the box of old tools. Thinking "garage sale items" I brought the box upstairs to have a better look. Among the old and rusted pieces and parts were these calipers. When Ted came home from work, I asked him what in the world they were. As I turned them about in my hands, I noticed some small letters stamped near the hinges. Lo and behold...they were initials....QLH.....Quincy LaRue Hiser.

None of the items in the box made it into a gargage sale and these two calipers are now in a place of honor--on display in the antique china cabinet in the living room.


Short Bio for Quincy LaRue Hiser

Born: 17 Aug 1869

Place: Stony Ridge, Wood County, Ohio

Died: 24 Dec 1924

Place: Pond Creek, Grant County, Oklahoma

Parents: Henry Hiser and Calista Elizabeth Calkins

Married first: Florence Mabel Brown

Date: 03 Aug 1890

Place: Wood County, Ohio

Child: Leona Florence Hiser

Married second: Isabelle Smith

Date: 21 Jun 1894

Place: Bradner, Wood County, Ohio

Children:

Wanda E. Hiser

Orison Henry Hiser--Ted's great grandfather

Harry LaRue Hiser

Leo Westly Hiser

Maurice Darlington Hiser

Quincy LaRue Hiser, Jr.

Mildred Deleta Hiser







2 comments:

  1. That's very cool and to have his initials on them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful old tools. They may have been used in lathe work, turning wood into spindles, chair legs, etc. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete